Thursday, June 30, 2011

Own Who You Uniquely Are

Today I was thinking a lot about conversations I've had in the recent past with friends about true self verses what we feel we should be as "Christians" or spiritual beings. In my thinking of this today, I realized that we shouldn't be thinking of the two as separate, but as one whole being that was created for a unique and individual relationship with our creator/God/higher being.

I do believe in God, and in that, I have had trouble at times worrying that my passions for music and writing and such don't align with what is "right" or what I should be doing. But what I've come to realize is that that feeling is really that I feel that certain things in my life that I feel awkward about are things that I feel awkward about because of other people's perception of what is "right" and what I should be. If God wanted us to all act the same and do the same things and react the same, why wouldn't He have just created one person or made us all clones? In thinking about relationships, no one wants to have the exact same relationship with everyone they know. What would the point be in having more than one relationship? Relationships are purposeful and beneficial for their diversity and the multitude of unique experiences that are brought from each person's background. If we were meant to live/worship/commune/relate to each other in exactly the same way, wouldn't we have been made that way? We need artists and engineers and writers and Wal-Mart greeters and philosophers and car dealers to each bring something unique to the table. This is why I think I really have trouble with people trying to say "This is how you should worship" God/your higher being/live life. We each have a unique relationship with between ourselves and our world and it is our responsibility to control and direct what we contribute to that relationship. No two people will worship or have faith or believe in or live their lives in the same way, nor should they. We each need to step up and take responsibility for how WE choose to do this and not constantly worry and fret over how others choose to. We need to live out OUR best life and be a light onto others and show love and compassion and strength to those around us.

I often get frustrated with fear based faith and relationships, but I realize that in my frustration, I fuel the fire of fear. I must choose my own path with faith and in my own choice to live in love and light, I will affect those around me and hopefully inspire them to live in hope and love and light as well. I feel we should each embrace our individual strengths and passions and look inward as to how we perceive these gifts to be used and trust that these gifts have been given for a purpose and never rely on other people's preconceived notions on what those gifts were meant for to dictate how you live. That is between you and God. Look within and project outward. Don't look outward and project that inward.

No comments:

Post a Comment